Wikis and Tribal Knowledge
Onboarding a new developer, whether an employee or consultant, often takes days or even weeks. Workspace configuration is tribal and manual - often vaguely documented on wikis. “Hey, just follow these steps - it worked for me!” The scope of setup is broad, ranging from tool installation, workspace configuration, authorizations to internal resources, build setup, debugging environment, and staging access.
Why This Fails
- Manual configuration is error prone.
- Wikis are rarely kept current.
- Fragile, do it yourself scripts break frequently.
- Vagrant and VMs are large & difficult to synchronize.
- Know-how and support is tribal, living with experts.
- Hardware and OS differences are substantial.
- Developers control localhost, yet operations expect to own it - creating friction.
Automated Bootstrapping with Codenvy
Codenvy generates on-demand workspaces that are on-demand, collaborative, and constraint-free. Reachable from any device, workspaces are generated as the developer works within their issue management or favorite requirements tools.
Workspaces are generated through our “Factory” automation, which handles all on-boarding tasks including environment boot, downloads, authentication, tool injection, and branch setup.
Why This Works
- Developers install nothing locally.
- Workspaces may be cloned, resized, or shared.
- One-click collaboration even with remote team members.
- Get feedback on pre-merge or even pre-commit code.